Saturday, July 21, 2012

Buttercream Roses, 3 methods

Buttercream Roses, 3 methods


Link to all my videos: www.youtube.com I thought the music might help soothe the frazzled nerves of the caker who is struggling with those PITN (pain in the neck) roses. I was never fond of making roses, right from the beginning. My consistency would start out stiff but my heater hands would break down the frosting after just one rose. I did what any sensible person would do (sensible meaning 'I like my recipe and am too stubborn to add/subtract anything'), I stopped using the nail and started piping right on the cake. My frosting no longer needed to be stiff, the petals could droop a little but I never needed to worry about it again. Until I wanted to teach a class about it. I got a stick, a nail, and a cookie sheet and got to work. Each method was fine but the nail in particular was still bugging me. I gave up that day, did some praying and got to work the next day. Come to find out, by changing direction (turning the nail clockwise instead of counter-clockwise) and tilting the nail I was finally able to have success. My problem was not being able to focus on everything at once, turning the nail, pressure control, and how to tilt the tip. What worked with the nail also worked with the stick, I tilted the stick away from me. Now the problem was consistency. Roses need to be piped with a stiffer consistency when you're using the nail or stick, otherwise the petals will droop or worse, the rose will fall. Since I AM stubborn with my recipe, the <b>...</b>